Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: If it isn't regulated, they can charge whatever they want...

Posted by ky_tenant on July 30, 2001 at 14:47:15:

In Reply to: Re: If it isn't regulated, they can charge whatever they want... posted by me on July 25, 2001 at 19:40:36:

Is it legal even if the apartment manager increase the rent for only a certain group of people and not for others ?

: There might be an issue with the management company taking a fee if they are related to the owner..something you may want to check out. Everything else is legal in a non-stabilized apartment as far as those fees go...seems crazy but legal.

: : You might want to check DHCR records to make sure it isn't regulated. You could be pleasantly suprised.

: : : I just signed my fourth year new lease on the same apt. Each year, as written in the lease, I pay a $700 re-signing fee. Is this legal even though it's in the lease. Also, I'm in a, what I've been told is, non stabelized apt. Each year so far, my rent has been raised 5% (plus of course $700 fee). This year, however, they rose the rent 18%. Last year I asked for a two year lease, they said yes, but would have to add the additional 5% for hte second year to the rent. I chose not to, since I wasn't sure I'd stay. Now that I'm staying it went up 18%. I paid a fee in the first place to, not a realitor, but the management company (15% years rent, the first year). Since I've lived here, noise, restaurants, garbage removal and etc have made it hard to accept such an increase (detail would be too much to write). Do I have any right to do anything?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name