Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Mother-In-Law Mayhem

Posted by Dayann on August 01, 2001 at 03:39:39:

In Reply to: Mother-In-Law Mayhem posted by Becky Beldin on July 31, 2001 at 17:10:09:

Hi. Nothing worse than testy, fickle in laws.

I think this site is for NY tenants, so most of the people here would know NY rather than Nebraska law, but you are still wise to post because lawyers travel. Who knows? Maybe a lawyer who went to school in NE recently moved to NY or vice versa, checks out this site, and can help you.

I found a neat website that lists a whole bunch of laws from all 50 states, including property and Landlord and Tenant stuff. They are located at

You can try to click on the Nebraska link. That will lead you to a website that posts the actual laws of the state. Maybe you can try to read them carefully and see if there is anything in there that might apply to you and might help.

In the meantime, since you have babies, GO DIRECTLY TO YOUR NEAREST SOCIAL SERVICES OFFICE and tell them the situation. They will be able to get you somewhere to go temporarily and some clothes to put on your kids' backs. (A local church or Catholic Charities might be able to do this too). Once you are on social services you may qualify for free legal advice and representation, and the caseworker who helps you out might be able to give you a referral.

Although the cops may not be able to get you to take possession of the Premises, I find it hard to believe that they can't escort you back to the house to take your personal property out of it. I am not a lawyer and don't know about Nebraska, but my understanding is that it is usually illegal for someone to have your personal possessions in their home and not allow you to pick them up. See if the police will escort you back to the house when your mother in law is home and help you at least pick up some of your children's clothes, etc. If not, you may be able to go to small claims court with a list of the personal belongings your mother in law has in her possession and get a court order telling her to either give you your stuff back or pay you damages equalling the monetary value of the stuff she has that she's refusing to give back. If she threw your stuff out and caused it to get damaged or stolen, you may be entitled to damages in small claims court, and then you can use the money to get a better place to live.

But obviously since you are on the street with your babies, your first concern would be to get somewhere to go temporarily and make sure they are fed and have clothes on their back, diapers, etc. Then worry about how to get your stuff from your mother in laws house.

Don't go back there to live. Get your stuff and find another place. If your mother and law is the type that would put you and her grandchildren through this, then why would you want to be back. The next time she gets upset with you, shell do this again, and it is not a good environment for your kids to have to deal with. Get your stuff, sell it if you have to, and use the money to find a better situation where you don't have to be at your mother in laws mercy.

Good luck to you. I'll say a prayer for your kids.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name