Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord Harassment

Posted by Dayann on August 07, 2001 at 03:13:37:

In Reply to: Landlord Harassment posted by Marlena on August 07, 2001 at 02:57:03:

A suggestion. Don't know if it will work. Try going to www.USSearch.com and doing a criminal record search on yourself, I think you can get one done for $40. I don't know if this search will only show convictions or if it will also show any police reports that were made, but if you are really serious about nailing this person it may be worth a shot. It's cheaper than hiring a private investigator. I am not sure if you have a right to go to the local precinct with a letter asking for complaint numbers for any complaints made agaisnt you in the last couple of years, but it never hurts to ask, or even to subpeona the information. You might not need it. If you get copies of the trnnscripts to the hearings, or if your lawyer does, you have proof that you were accused of engaging in criminal activity in open court, to officers of the court. If these accusations aren't true or can't be proven, it's slander and you may have a case.

This happened to me, I had a landlord who tried to go into court and say that I was running a brothel in the basement apartment I was renting so that she could convince the judge that I didn't deserve more time to look for a new apartment. It never went to the judge. My lawyer said, "slander!" and reminded her that it was an illegal apartment and we were able to settle the matter prior to seeing the judge.I never pursued the slander idea because to me it wasn't worth it, I got what I wanted in my settlement and it was clear to everyone involved that the landlord was just bitter that she was losing her case.

Your situation is different because you are actually being questioned by police, and that isn't good. No one wants to be falsely arrested. If you aren't using a lawyer, get one quick, preferably one who has experience in both real estae (landlord and tenant) and criminal matters or who comes from a firm that deals with all different areas of law.

Good luck to you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name