Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL built extra room for sister

Posted by Ace on August 08, 2001 at 16:52:11:

In Reply to: LL built extra room for sister posted by KT on August 07, 2001 at 23:03:56:

I've read this and your previous link. You got some pretty good advice on that link about calling HPD.

While I know you don't want to hear about moving, it's your best option. The fact remains that it sounds like it's a private house situation and if you want your privacy and rights protected, you may have to rat them out to the Zoning people about their illegal dwellings, especially if they're collecting rent.

Why haven't you done so? Or is this a prank posting?

: You will have to follow the link below in order to follow this mess.

: The room has been built and the new tenant has been slated to move in this week. The room has no outlets and no light fixtures; frigid in the winter and smoltering in the summer. Don't you want to move in. Before any of you say it I cannot pick up and move at a moments notice or when I think I'm being screwed. But to have someone say if you don't like it move is by far assinine.

: I had a conversation (arguement) with the LL because i awoke to find someone in the living room of the apartment. I told this person that the next time this happens I will call the police. The LL's came and stated that it was their house and they can come and go as they please and if I didn't like it I can move. I replied that if they are willing to take me to court i will gladly move. I also told them that I talked to the Tenants Council and was basically following the advice that I got from them (because of a non-existent lease) to which they replied call who you want this is our house.

: I also brought up the fact that I believed that I didn't think that I can fairly pay the same rent when a third party moves in. Another snide remark.

: When this all started I called my landlord and asked what the new rent will be when the new tenant moved in and the wife told me in a recorded conversation with her consent that my rent will remain at whatever I was paying now and will likely go up. But she will have to talk to her husband as to what it will exactly be. I also asked what the total rent for the apartment was and was chastized for not listening. Well I played my hand and told her that I knew how much the total rent is and that it would not be fair because three people will be sharing the rent. (re: court case of jailed LL/subleter)

: I had a ah-hah moment when i read a message posted today about an illegal apt. My questions are what other information do it need to proceed because if my apt and the basement are illegal this will involve at least 3 other tenants here possibly resulting in us all being "ejected"? What can I do to make sure the rent is divided fairly between the three of us?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name