Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Update to "Scary Staircase"

Posted by Diana on August 09, 2001 at 23:25:11:

In Reply to: Re: Update to posted by Ace on August 08, 2001 at 16:47:10:

Sounds like Minty had an inspection from either the Dept of Buildings or HPD, not DHCR: "A very jovial Brooklyn city inspector". Besides, DHCR doesn't get here this fast! She can also file for a Rent Reduction with DHCR, then they'll send their inspector, maybe.

: If you want the inspector to check your place, make another call and don't mention the inspector was by for something else recently in your building. Don't call management if you've already made it well known in writing and phone calls that things needed to be attended to specifically in your apartment. DHCR will probably send you forms to fill. Fill them out, attach copies of all correspondence and copies of receipts with them and send it happily away to DHCR. Let DHCR handle it from there. You will receive later on a copy of acknowledgement of your complaint and also if LL has claimed LL has fixed the various violations which you can confirm or deny in the form and send back to DHCR.

: I've had DHCR give me a suddenly happy and willing to comply LL within a week or two.

:
: : A very jovial Brooklyn city inspector arrived well within the window of time I was given today. He checked out the offending staircase, and indeed there were major violations as far as the strength of the ramp, and its tendency to bounce when ascending or descending. He also noted the excessive risers on the lower staircase (each riser cannot exceed 8 and 1/4 inches), which had obviously been an existing condition, but nonetheless, the LL is still responsible for bringing this up to code.

: : In addition, after inquiring how many units the building had (3), a big smile broke out across his face. He pointed out at least 4 additional violations he spied in the hallway. I joked about how many violations he would find if he actually entered my dwelling, which I wasn't ready to deal with on this day, and he replied, "Don't worry. I'm only checking for what was on the original complaint today."

: : Now I'm wondering - do I contact the management company directly, even though they will soon be

: : If anyone has any questions about this process, you can email me privately.

: : Next step: wiring!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name