Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

wet basement

Posted by keri on August 10, 2001 at 03:00:04:

Hello. I just moved into a townhome in Rochester, NY which is approximately 30 years old. It is not rent controlled. We have a written lease, and there are 4 townhomes per building, and about 15 buildings altogether. It is about halfway up a hill, and a few miles north is Lake Ontario. The basement floor is a concrete square set directly onto the ground, and the walls are built independently of the floor about 1 inch away. Between the walls and floor are trenches about 3 inches deep, full of standing water in which mold is growing. The water is only in the front half of the basement. The back half, by the sump pump, is dry. I believe that it could be all dry if the drainage from the front half to the sump pump were working properly. The handyman says that nothing can be done, but what needs to be done is going to cost them a lot of time and money. I believe that the mold and standing water pose a health hazard. Are they obligated to fix this problem?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name