Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL won't allow roommate..is their reason legitimate?

Posted by wayne on August 11, 2001 at 20:41:17:

I've gotten an explosion of problems with my LL since I requested to be let out of a 30-day notice agreement early. The reason I needed to get out of it early was because a roommate bailed on me and it screwed everything up for me...I had to pay the entires months rent for a 2bedroom plus, I found that there were some things I couldn't live with in the apt. I proposed to my LL to allow me to find a roommate willing to take over the apartment because I had intended to leave whether it was on the date I requested or on a date in accordance with the 30-days notice. My LL denied my request to move early, which I wasn't too devestated about because I figured I could find a roommate until I could move out so I wouldn't end up paying another entire months rent. At first my LL was cool with that, but I got a call today and she changed her mind, said I couldn't have a roommate anymore. She justified it by saying that it was only for my benefit(of course it was because I didn't want to pay for a 2bedroom apartment in which I was only occupying 1 room) and that she didn't want to "turn the place into somekind of hotel" We got into a huge arguement about it with no resolution. A lot of words were exchanged, but nothing that legitamized her reason of not allowing to have a roommate. Can my LL do this...say I can't have a roomate just because I intend move out or because of some other illegitimate reason? We're on a 30-day contract and there is nothing on it about restrictions on roommates. By this way, my LL is one of 3 family house-owners renting out one to me so she is very "my way or no way"

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name