Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: apt woes

Posted by dj on August 13, 2001 at 16:21:32:

In Reply to: apt woes posted by frustrated on August 13, 2001 at 11:04:53:

First you had nothing in writing, second you illegally sublet it by not telling the landlord, so what can you sue for?

Also The landlord might just turn around and evict you if he found out you illegally sublet the apartment....you did get rent money, and probably more then the lease amount

Next time get a family member to stay there.

: hey all -

: can anyone help with this situation:

: my wife and i left town for 10 weeks and subletted to a 24 year old grad student. part of the directives given to her was under no circumstances were pets allowed in the apt as i'm very allergic. so, we return and sure enough, she had her labrador retriever stay in the apt. neighbors even commented to me upon my return that the dog was living here almost the entire time we were gone.

: as a result of the dog, i had to have the carpets and couch cleaned for $600. this did not remove the stink and hair of the dog leaving me no choice but to trash the couch and buy a new one. further, the bedroom matress has a nice "odor" to it. i believe that the dog relieved itself on the matress at some time while we were gone. so, the matress and couch is trashed.

: among these issues, numerous broken things have appeared in the apt. - answering machine, broken vacuum, etc.

: this was a mistake to have her in here. but, the damage is done,

: do i, legally, have a case here? no paperwork was signed at all and my current landlord knew nothing of a subletter.

: please help....

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name