Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

filing complaint against a broker?

Posted by Sung Kim on August 14, 2001 at 19:59:06:

Hi,

Is there any way to file a complaint against a broker (working for a major real-estate brokerage firm) who knowingly (with prior knowledge) got me an apartment with *possible* NYC building code violation? I moved into my current studio (sublease co-op) in Manhattan Sept of 2000 (and paid dearly for the broker's fee). The apt turned out to be nothing short of a slump (with loud noise coming from boiler every hour, 24x7, and mice infestation - have caught over 13 mice since I moved in and there are plenty more running around) and, considering my broker have known my LL and the previous tenants for at least 6-8 years, it seems pretty obvious that he had known about the problems.

Now the only problem is that while the previous tenants had complained verbally about the noise and mice problems, they never officially reported the problems to the authorities (DEP/DoH) for various reasons - fear of losing their lease being one of them. There's no written record (not even certified letters). My lease expires in Sept (31), and LL is getting ready to find another tenant without rectifying the problems. The mice problem is somewhat under control - I twisted their arms and legs, but the noise problem, on the other hand, despite my 7+ month battle with LL, is going nowhere. I'd thought that my LL and the building management were working togehter to fix this at one point, but last week, my LL flatly said there was "no need for repair."

thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name