Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Buildings Department should Certify Artists?? Get real.

Posted by Seymour Duncan on August 22, 2001 at 22:49:40:

In Reply to: Re: Buildings Department should Certify Artists?? Get real. posted by Provost on August 22, 2001 at 22:10:39:

HOUSTON is different in so many ways from NYC. I've been to Houston and it's one of the most culturally void cities in the U.S. There are bars in residential areas and strip malls on every corner. As a former Texas resident, I know that Houston is often called "the armpit" of Texas. Houston defines "urban sprawl". Manhattan is entirely different... a very FINITE amount of space with the average building being around 100 years old(my guess). The average building in Houston is probably 8-15 years old?!?

Artists have an ETHICAL right to be in SOHO because they went in and cleaned it up when nurses, lawyers and college students were afraid. After they kicked out the drug dealers and kept the buildings from falling down, the lawmakers passed laws protecting the work they had done on the spaces. The galleries that the artists built became one of New York's top cultural attractions. That's the ethical justification... the legal justification is on the books and I want the DOB to simply enforce it.

The NYC Dept. of Cultural affairs doesn't discriminate against commercial artists, it only says that "art for commercial purposes alone" does not qualify you. Comic strip artists would qualify if they positioned their work as artistic, as well as entertainment, but most just publish it as entertainment. Entertainment and Art are different. Come to NYC and you'll see!

: : The NYC Dept. of Cultural Affairs is in charge of certifying artists. To learn more about the rigorous certification process, go here: http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dcla/html/artcert.html

: Thanks for the correction. But I think that it is patently ridiculous for ANY governmental agency to "certify" who is an "artist" and who isn't.

:
: : The zoning laws for NYC aren't any more complex than they are in Dallas, TX.

: Maybe so. But have you compared NYC zoning law with Houston, TX ? Houston has NO ZONING LAWS WHATSOEVER. And guess what, housing in Houston is cheap and plentiful.

: : Artists have an ETHICAL and LEGAL right to be in SOHO but because the DOB doesn't enforce the C of O, they cannot afford to be there.

: Sorry Abe, they don't. Artists have no more "right" to live in SOHO than do nurses, plumbers, or dentists. Take your case up the the highest court, that is the decision they will surely render.

:
: On another note, I see the city "department of cultural affairs" discriminates against certain artists in its "certification process". Commercial artists (such as comic book artists) are ineligible to become "certified". But, they do allow "certified" artists to have income from non-art related sources. Abe, why not become an artist with a sideline as a real estate loft broker ????!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name