Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Illegal Apartment

Posted by dj on August 28, 2001 at 00:10:35:

In Reply to: Illegal Apartment posted by Patricia Callahan on August 27, 2001 at 20:57:35:

http://www.townsunited.com/illegal_coversions.htm

Here is the link all about illegal conversions....

If the apartment is in the attic or basement, it is an Illegal apartment and the landlord has NO legal right to collect any rent from you. And must evict you in Supreme Court NOT housing court, and that can take 6 months or more...

Of course a judge is going to ask you... cash to the landlord, implying YOU were a willing participant in the illegal scheme.

So you have some options, you can not pay rent till your evicted or maybe get some of that money back by having the landlord pay all you moving expenses, hire a mover not a UHAUL! all you deposit back and a month or two of "free" rent. and you will move quietly.

Or you can be a bad asssss and let him try and evict you...

PS...important question before we get out of hand... do you get abill for your electricty to CON ED? Electricty included is a sign the apartment is illegal...con ed wont install a meter unless the apartment is legal

:
:
:

: I need some help Please!!! I have been living in an apartment in Queens, New York for the past 8 years and have been paying my rent on time and in cash as per my landlord's request. On Saturday, a Inspector came to my house and wanted to come in to see the apartment.
: I refused him entry because I am alone and I was afraid. I was told
: that this apartment is illegal and he gave me some paper to apprear in court, which I gave to my Landlady. He also went to the house next door, but she is registered as a 3 family-- and apparently this house is registered as a 2 family dweling. I have paid this woman to date approximately $64,000 in cash and now the woman next door said I will probably be evicted. Do I have any recourse? What if anything can I do. I am alone and I do not have the funds to make any move at this time.
: Please give me any help you can, I am really scared!!
: P.S.
: I know that no taxes were paid on that $64,000
: advise me ASAP
: Thanking you in advance

: Patti Callahan

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name