Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Sorry, almost forgot, I DO NOT have a lease

Posted by courtwatcher on August 28, 2001 at 22:45:14:

In Reply to: Sorry, almost forgot, I DO NOT have a lease posted by Denis on August 28, 2001 at 20:40:06:

If the owner of your IMD is a corporation (rather than an individual) then the answer is "NO" -- only individuals are allowed to claim space for a relative.
You say you have no lease; depending on how long you have been living in the loft your rights as a tenant might vary. Your rights might also vary depending on what neighborhood you live in. (i.e.: Under NYC zoning regulations, SoHo has a "certified artist" residency requirement -- yet this regulation is rarely enforced.)
Per "Eviction": The landlord cannot "evict" you; a judge / court can order you to be evicted. But the LL can bring an action to have the court evict you. In fact LL can bring an action against for just about anything -- if LL wants to pay court filing fees and pay a lawyer -- it doesn't mean that LL will prevail. It happens alot where a LL will try to scare a tenant into moving out by stating that LL wants to claim space for a relative -- when the real purpose is simply to get the tenant to move out in a quick and easy fashion.
Keep this board posted as to what transpires -- and give us more details.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name