Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Should I do this? NO!!!

Posted by Jen on September 01, 2001 at 02:23:18:

In Reply to: Re: Should I do this? posted by courtwatcher on August 12, 2001 at 19:34:51:

You have no legal right to a roommate unless the landlord explicitly agreed to one. You do not own this building, and it is not your right to decide your own terms in someone else's house. It would be very unethical for you to go over your landlord's head and hand out keys to an un-invited roommate, not to mention illegal. You say that you could let it slide, but you don't "want" to pay full price for a two bedroom. You should've thought of that before giving a 30 day notice without already securing a roommate! Your new roommate would be considered a tresspasser, and you will cause yourself problems much greater than half a months rent.

: Are your being honest about the situation with the potential roommates?
: If you are not telling them the truth, then there is no way that you should put an unsuspecting person in that situation.

: : By the way, the LL is using my security deposit for september

: : : I've given my LL a 30-day notice on a month to month apt. I have to be moved out by sept 31. The thing is though, I still need a roommate to cover the other half of the rent in the apartment, which is a 2 bedroom. My LL has said he would not allow me to have a roommate regardless because I'm leaving anyway. Now I could just let it slide, but there's no way I want to pay in full for a 2 bedroom apartment. Negotiations/talks are useless at this point and frankly, I'm frustrated at the stubbornness of my LL.

: : : I was thinking, since I'm leaving anyway, I'd go ahead and get a roommate, make copies of the keys, and just disregard my LL's denial. I figure, all he could do(legally) is get a court order for an eviction, but I'd be out the door either way. Now, I wouldn't want to put the to-be roommate in a bad situation, what exactly can the LL do to him or her? I've talked to several potential roommates who need a short-term place and are flexible on moving in/out dates so it might not be a big deal if the LL evicts them as well. So should I go thru with it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name