Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Renewal lease without signature--follow up

Posted by Lilly on September 03, 2001 at 19:12:43:

In Reply to: Renewal lease without signature--follow up posted by cat lady on September 03, 2001 at 17:37:35:

It's just infinately letter to get the lease signed. Keep an unsigned copy and send the orig back (certified mail, return rec't) with a note asking them to please have the LL sign it and return to you.

Rent regulated: you're still protected under the Rent Stabilization Code, the same terms and conditions as your expiring(expired)lease.
It's assumed you're either a 1 or 2 year renewal. You could file with DHCR "LL's refusal to furnish tenant with copy of renewal lease", but I'm sure the lack of signature was an oversight;-)

Several years ago I was in court with LL, without a renewal lease, desperately wanted one, and the judge told me that I didn't need one.
Who knows? It's just better if you have the signed lease.

Not regulated: LL can give you a 30-day notice to vacate-you'd be considered a month to month tenant. Under the Statute of Frauds, a lease for real property for a term not exceeding 1 year is enforceable without there being a writing(lease)(but why risk it?); A lease for a term of 1 year or more is void unless there is a writing (lease)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name