Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: help! subletesque drama BIG ERROR!!!

Posted by dj on September 04, 2001 at 17:44:45:

In Reply to: help! subletesque drama posted by pam on September 04, 2001 at 16:47:51:

Put the utilities back in your name today!

Rent subisidy and rent stabilized are very different..... and you may not be able to "sublet" you may have to pay the rent yourself, since the subsidy was to YOU! Therefore your friend is not entitled to it.... and cannot pay you the subsidized rent.

Why are you leaving for 11 months?

I think the only way out is to pay the 11 months yourself.
;
;
;

: i live in a rent subsidized apartment in upper manhattan and just signed a 2 year lease. i have to leave the state for approx. 11 months and have arranged for a friend to stay in my place and pay the rent (and nothing more, although the utilities are now in her name). i let the super know that a friend would be staying for a couple of months out of courtesy and he told the management, who have now asked for the keys saying they understand i'm moving out. although my lease prohits subleases, i understand from tenant.net that this is illegal in a building my size. i realize the management is trying to strong arm me out of the apartment. should i continue in the line that my friend is staying for a couple of months, or initiate a sublet (although i'm not sure of its validity). i am coming back in less than a year and will be responsible for the rent. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name