Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Breaking Lease due to Health Matters...

Posted by Emme on September 05, 2001 at 22:29:13:

Hi,
we moved into a Chelsea,NY apartment 2 weeks ago, but have to move as there is something seriously agravating my asthma here. The Management Co. sent a guy round to check things out today, he says the fumes from the glue used in the renovated kitchen will clear "in about a month" and the rotting/mouldy floorboards around the two radiators can be "fixed" by using some kind of foam.
I have seen a doctor this morning who has said I must move out immediately, and is writing me a signed statement for this as proof.

We have given written notice to Mngmnt Company for moving out next Tuesday. Thay say we are liable until they re-rent, which is exactly as it says in the lease.
We have not called the Health Dept, we just want out, and the LL seems to be playing the official line, but now I wonder why we should have to pay for the place when we could not possibly live here (basically I will die if I stay). Should we call the Health Dept and argue our case? We're already payed up till end of September, but they have 2 months Security Deposit ($4600) which we of course need.
I'm worried that my credit (which is good now) will be damaged if we try to fight...

...any advice greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Emme.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name