Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

80% increase!!!

Posted by lost on September 26, 2001 at 18:34:58:

Hi,

Been living in a space in NYC for 4 years. Signed 2 two-year leases over that time. The first because I was told it was a commercial space was co-signed by some busines owner friends of mine along with myself. The renewal was only signed by myself (which I never questioned, but now do). Now that I'm up for renewal again...my wonderful landlord would like to up the rent by 90%...in a recession, after the WTC bombing, etc...wonderful person, no? This is an old building, with six apartments including my own. Can he do this? He has harassed tenants out before and this time, I'd like to stop him in his tracks. Of course, I failed to mention he has done little if no repairs in the place since I moved in and it's falling apart (mold, leaks, etc.) Anyone have any suggestions besides getting a lawyer? He will hear nothing of it from me so I'm thinking of city agencies that I may contact and basically I'm clueless. Anyone? Also, one more question, can he still claim this to be a commercial space (or revert it back to one) if he got rid of me? I know it's a lot of info, but could use some good advice. He's a liar, a cheat and quite good at it. So, let's make that...I need some REALLY, REALLY good advice.

thanks,
lost

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name