Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Regarding harressment..no harrasment!

Posted by TenantNet on September 28, 2001 at 08:50:22:

In Reply to: Re: Regarding harressment..no harrasment! posted by dj on September 28, 2001 at 08:38:26:

DJ (or should we say Richard), this is your last warning. This is a forum to help tenants, not castigate them. The correct answer depends on a number of facts -- where the tenant is located, the law in that area, the type of tenant he/she is (regulated status if any) and the terms of the lease. The tenant may be liable for the rent for the remainder of the lease, but most likely not beyond what that would have been -- not four months if there was only three months left in the lease. But also important is that the owner has re-rented the apartment, which in our view mitigates his damages and should let the tenant off the hook.

: Sorry there is no harassment......YOU signed a lease YOU are being held to its terms.

: You should have gotten your employer to pay the 4 months penalty or NOT taken the job transfer.

: : Hi
: : I rented an apt on one year lease.
: : but my employer changed my job site, so I had to move out to different state.
: : I was forced to break the lease.
: :
: : Now in lease agreement, it's written that i have to give two month's prior notice and plus I have to give two months equivalent rent as lease breaking amount.
: : I had to leave the apt with in few days so that i can join my new job site. Therefore I couldn't give two month's notice.
: : Now my housing agency claiming from me FOUR months of rent (two month notice rent + lease breaking amout).
: : Moreover after I moved out, they rented my apt to new tenant after one week.
: : I feel, very cheated here on two grounds.
: : 1. Why I need to pay both type of amount, i.e. two months notice also and two month of rent for lease breaking.
: : 2. If the same apt was rented just after one week, i moved out, then I should be paying money only for period, for which apartment was empty.
: : Please advice me as soon as possible.
: : What are my rights?
: : Also without sending me any debt claim settlement document to me, they have forwarded my case to debt collector which is making repeated calls to me in my work office.
: : Housing agency is VIRGINIA state based.
: : And debt collector is MARYLAND state based company.
: : Thanks
: : Ashish Jain

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name