Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Not paying last month's rent

Posted by me on October 02, 2001 at 14:29:49:

In Reply to: Not paying last month's rent posted by KP on October 01, 2001 at 13:45:47:

You can probably get away with it. But keep in mind that under standard leases, the landlord can sue you for the last month rent and collect attorneys fees.
You might want to get his OK. If he wont do that, a safer course may be to pay the last month rent and then, after documenting the condition of the apartment, sue if he withholds any part of the rent. I believe you can get damages in addition to the security if he withholds part of the security deposit without justificaiton.

: I live in a rent stabilized apartment with around 20 units in Queens, which I share with one other person. Ourlandlord has become hostile with us over supposedly subletting the apartment out to someone illegally. Our lease is up this month, so we are going to withhold our last month's rent out of fear that our landlord won't give us back our security deposit. Does anyone know if he can sue us for this or if there will be any legal ramifications?
: Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name