Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rent control eviction

Posted by Lilly on October 02, 2001 at 21:45:10:

In Reply to: rent control eviction posted by christine on October 02, 2001 at 13:56:11:

Call the NY Bar Association. You are entitled to commence legal proceedings to recover the overcharge and you're entitled to file an overcharge complaint with DHCR. You would have been much better off confronting your LL with the evidence and paying bubkis to live there. About a lawyer: All of them will require a retainer of minimum $2500 to $5000, plus an hourly rate of at least $175. Your best case scenario is a judgement for $27,000, treble the overcharge. Worst case is $9000. Both plus interest. That just entitles you to a judgement against LL. I have a hunch she will be unable to pay it, let alone that of the other tenants, so whoever gets their judgement first....
good luck.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name