Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Am I Protected In A Building With Only 2 Units

Posted by me on October 06, 2001 at 17:56:56:

In Reply to: Am I Protected In A Building With Only 2 Units posted by johnadam on October 06, 2001 at 16:41:31:

You are probably not rent-stabilized--but even that is not certain. Some very small buildings are part of building complexes and ARE rent stabilized. Unless that applies to you, no you are not rent stabilized, and that means you can be evicted if you have no lease or at the end of a lease.
It does not mean that you have no legal protection whatsoever. He can charge whatever rent he wants, assuming you dont have a lease, and he can probably take away amenities.
But you do have certain basic legal protections, such as an inhabitable residence, etc. I believe also there may be requirements for a stove, etc., but I am not sure.
You allude to certain actions by the landlord, such as taking away your washing machine. Perhaps you can elaborate a little.
: Hi
: I've been told that, since my building has only 2 units, I'm not protected by any of the normal legal protections
: tenants have in this city, and that my landlord can do whatever he feels like, like kicking me out any time,
: charging any rent he wants to, or taking away ameneties such as a washing machine/dryer, and backyard,
: that were part of the situation when I moved in, and I'm powerless to stop him. Is this true?

: Thanks!
: J

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name