Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: transferring to 1 bedroom in the same building

Posted by Stacy on October 08, 2001 at 18:00:25:

In Reply to: transferring to 1 bedroom in the same building posted by mj on October 07, 2001 at 12:15:40:

The increase is possible, since they're allowed to charge a 20% vacancy rent increase, plus an MCI increase if they do any improvement work on the place. Still, there's chance something dodgey is up with the rents. To find out for sure, check your apartment's rent history at DHCR. Details on how to do that are on the board--just fo a search.

As far as the fee to the super goes: It's illegal for a landlord, super or managing agent to collect a broker's fee or any part of a broker's fee for renting an apartment. It's called key money; details on it are also available on the board. If you can document that money trail and prove that money you've paid to a broker has gone back to the building's management then you could sue to recover that money. Proving it is the trick, tho.

: Hello there,
: I live in studio apartment and wanted to move to 1 bedroom apt in the same building. i kept talking to the super but never got lucky. one day i saw someone moving out from one bedroom and asked super ans she told me to call management and she said they migth charge commission or somethind. i know people who lived there paid $800/month and when i called the management th eperson told me that apartment is for $1000. my building is rent stabilizaed building. is that possible? if not how come they did not want to rent it to me?
: when I rented this studio the broker told me that he has to share some of his broker's fee with super. When i called that broker he did not really want to talk to me.
: help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name