Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Illegal Apartment/Private House

Posted by dk on October 11, 2001 at 05:13:06:

In Reply to: Illegal Apartment/Private House posted by Melody on October 08, 2001 at 09:38:50:


I found this site by accident. Go to NYC Department of Buildings website. Click on the Building Information System(BIS), choose option A and enter the address and viola! It gives you the occupancy and also list any violations. I am in the same boat and now I have alot of leverage to get things fixed.

On the home page there are numbers for your bourough in case you need to lodge a complaint. Also check out It's like a faq on illegal apts. But use your own judgement. Or you can call the HPD (Housing Preservation and Development) at (212) 960-4800 and talk to them. They can't help if you don't have a lease, as in my case, but they will direct you as to the Tenants Council at (718) 435-7585 and they will lay it out for you in plain english as to what to do next.

: I rent an apartment in a two family private residence in Brooklyn. How can I find out if it is a legal two family home, with a certificate of occupancy?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name