Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Should I get a lawer?

Posted by matt on October 12, 2001 at 14:20:42:

I have been subletting for 26 months- paying 1036/mo for an unfurnished rent stabalized appartment. I found out that the people I am subletting from are paying 650/mo. I am also dealing with the following:

- Bug infestation
- Broken Refrigerator
- Broken Toilette
- Broken Winow (won't open)

The subletters said that the landlord has offered 300 for a new refrigerator. Of course that is impossible to find. He said that they are going to contact an exterminator but it has been more than a month. It has been 5 months on the window. And re: the toilette I am going to take care of myself and submit the receit.

- Can I submit my receipt for the new refrigerator I bought ($480) and deduct it from my rent?
-What are my rights re: evection? I have the appt through Feb- by contract- if I start these proceedings, can the people I rent from just decide they want their appt back?
- Where can I find a good lawer?

Ideally I would like to be able to take care of all of the problems myself and deduct it from my rent. Then when I am about to leave this situation I would like to sue for the balance I am owed. Is that possible? Does that sound like a good strategy?

Thanks for any help-


Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name