Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Should I get a lawer?

Posted by Steve on October 13, 2001 at 13:23:27:

In Reply to: Should I get a lawer? posted by matt on October 12, 2001 at 14:20:42:

I had an ex-partner who found a very cheap stabilized apartment in Hell's Kitchen years ago. He and I had a falling out over the business so I bought him out and he moved to LA. Before he left, he subletted his apartment to an actress for more than twice his rent. He left a lot of his belongings in the apartment with a promise that it would be removed with a week or two. Six months later, it still hadn't been collected. On his return trips to NYC he would let himself into the apartment when she wasn't home and rummage through his stuff. She changed the locks, he got pissed, threats of eviction were made, yada yada. He refused to let her install a phone in her name. When she did anyway, more threats.

She went to the management company, told them the story and they evicted him. As a tenant in place, they re-rented the apartment to her for a minimal increase. She gave him a week to remove his stuff. When he hadn't done so, she threw it out.

He threatened to return to NYC and take her to court. However, in the interim the tenants organized and bought the building. She got the apartment for $30k.

: I have been subletting for 26 months- paying 1036/mo for an unfurnished rent stabalized appartment. I found out that the people I am subletting from are paying 650/mo. I am also dealing with the following:

: - Bug infestation
: - Broken Refrigerator
: - Broken Toilette
: - Broken Winow (won't open)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name