Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

The facts

Posted by Provost on October 16, 2001 at 19:15:55:

In Reply to: Evicted from rent stabilized apt. posted by Paul on October 16, 2001 at 11:22:27:

He owns the apartment...you don't. Owner can rent to his family if he wants. He can renovate and redecorate if he wants. He can charge his son a different rent than he charges everyone else. He can do this as slow as molasses if he wants or complete everything very quickly. And when his son or other family member does move in, that person can take on a roommate, or sublet the place, as long as he has permission from the landlord...his dad.

Bottom line: renting does not give you the same rights as owning. If you want a place you can call your own, look to buy, rather than dwelling on what you can't even rent.

: My lease was not renewed in a Brooklyn, NY apartment that is rent stabilizes because the Lanlord's son was going to move in. Because I suspected he was not really going to move in, I fought it and lost. I finally moved out on June 1of 2001 and now in the middle of October, the apartment is still not occupied and is "being renovated" as I suspected in order to jack up the rent for the new non-relative tenant. What is a resonable or fair amount of time that the owner has to have his son move in and how long must his son live in that apartment?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name