Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: septic smell

Posted by dani on October 16, 2001 at 21:26:15:

In Reply to: septic smell posted by jenn on October 16, 2001 at 02:00:54:

: Hi, I am a tenant in upstate NY with a difficult problem. I live in a house that has had septic problems for several months now, ie. sewage backing up into the bathroom, etc. My landlord finally had the septic replaced (it was 60 years old) and we've now developed a septic smell in the house eminating from the same bathroom. My landord lives a distance away, but was visiting for several months over the summer. I explained the problem to him and he came to check it out. He said that he didn't think that it was septic, rather he believed it to be a dead animal. Now I've lived in the country all my life and I know what dead animal smells like. This was not. This was septic gas. But he's proved time and time again to err on the side of saving money. Now he's gone, and I'm left with a house that smells almost umbearable. What legal recourse do I have with regards to a lease. We've signed a lease that allows for a two month notice. But with this smell, I'm having trouble even going inside. No family or friends in the area. Please advise with any suggestions or ideas. Thank you.

i can't help w/ legal advice, but maybe problem is just a blockage in the fresh air intake for the septic system. This would cause gases from the septic system to back-up into house instead of being release to exterior. Check for circular screen approx 6" diameter on side of the house near the septic system. (some fresh air intake vents are in the form of a goose-necked pipe instead of a screen) make sure it's clean and free of blockage. good luck. www.IslaEngineering.com

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name