Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Are Basement apartments legal?

Posted by Questionable on October 17, 2001 at 13:58:07:

In Reply to: Re: Are Basement apartments leagel? posted by ray on October 17, 2001 at 13:28:25:

No im not here to clal this apartment in i just am wondering my rights is all i just moved here not to long ago and im just not sure if they are or not i mean it dont matter to me but i should still be treated as a person and not have the landlord walking into my apartment when he feels like it wiht no notice what so ever i mean i dont think that is right and he does it all the time and i have looked in to this and from what i found out he has to give some kind of notice, But thank you for the info! :)

: some basement apts are legal. In the event yours is not, and the inspectors investigate and determine it is illegal, you will have to move. The LL is not responsible to shelter you elsewhere. Going to a shelter is at your discretion. Many people rent basement apts with bad intentions; many believe basement apts are illegal, therefore they agree to rent and then dont pay the rent. They are misguided. Ultimately, they eventually have to move sooner rather than later, and at their expense. I had tenants in my basement, and after being reported, they had to move in as little as two months. This occurred about 2 years ago. Many people think it is a long enduring process, but in my case, it was fast and the courts dont care where you go. Its unfortunate, because basement apts are inexpensive and fairly nice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name