Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

No signed lease = 30 days notice

Posted by ChrisG on October 17, 2001 at 18:17:33:

In Reply to: No signed lease...wink and handshake instead posted by Jae on October 17, 2001 at 12:20:15:

i used to live month-to-month, and the day i moved out i talked to another tenant and heard the price for 2 bedrooms was going from $1300 to $1600. i got out just in time! without a lease, the LL only needs ot give you 30 days notice to increase the rent, or pretty much do anything, including asking you to move out. it's just not a really secure way of renting, tho it can be helpful for brief periods.

as for a cap on the rent, that would only occur if your place was rent-stabilized. you can check with the DHCR, but there would definitely be a lease if that were the case (otherwise the LL would be pulling a major scam which seems unlikely). the bottom line is the LL can raise the rent to whatever he feels like. too bad he's jacking it up so much. but that seems to be the status quo of williamsburg these days. maybe its time to make that commitment and move in with your girlfriend :^)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name