Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: how do I find out how much my total rent is?

Posted by Lilly on October 17, 2001 at 22:14:57:

In Reply to: Re: how do I find out how much my total rent is? posted by Ro on October 17, 2001 at 20:20:04:

If it's a rent regulated apt, the new roommate law reads that the tenant cannot charge the roommate more than half the rent, and doing so would be a violation of the code. That being said, it has been my experience (I deal with a lot of landlords) that landlords, some, not all, have been advised to proceed with caution against a tenant who is charging the roommate LESS THAN the total rent. If the roommate is paying MORE than the total rent, big trouble for the tenant-tenants can and have been evicted for charging more than the rent. What I'm hearing from LL's is that other factors, new DHCR reg or not, come into play: if the apartment is completely furnished, including the roommates bedroom, is the tenant supplying the linens, the dishes, the tv, stereo, cable tv, etc, tc; in other words, has the roommate brought anything at all, or has the roommate moved in with just her clothes, other personal effects, and everything else is the tenants. One instance I heard about is of a tenant who spent $10,000 of his own money correcting building code violations in the apartment because the LL simply wouldn't make the repairs; his roommate is paying a lot more than half the rent-LL has elected not to proceed with an eviction on that basis.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name