Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: roommate overcharge

Posted by overcharged roommate on October 18, 2001 at 17:17:04:

In Reply to: Re: Do not use handles: nytenant, tenant or tenantnet posted by Lilly on October 18, 2001 at 15:43:31:

Good question. She has a home upstate ny and spent weekends there. LL was originally trying to evict her for non-primary residency (rent envelopes post-marked throught the Albany office, her car was registered upstate, and she claimed upstate ny as her home address for tax purposes). When she told me I'd have to move out in two weeks, I called the LL to ask if I could stay. He asked what rent I paid -- I told him...and he told me what the actual rent was. He then made profiteering the primary case against her and, as a result, I got screwed, too.

How do treble damages work in such a case? When I fill out the claim, do I subtract what I should have paid (half) from what I actually paid and multiply by 6 (new law in books 12/00, so do I count months 1/01-7/01)? Or will someone at small claims help me out -- I have all the paper work.

: Yes, small claims is a way to go, and it doesn't matter where she lives now-the venue would still be where you live, which is also where it happened. But in order to have a shot at treble damages, small claims has a limit of $2700 or $3000.
: So if you didn't rat her out, I'm curious as to how the LL knew.
: Also, the rent history from DHCR isn't always accurate.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name