Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

INSUFFICIENT INFORMATION TO PROVIDE A MEANINGFUL RESPONSE

Posted by Provost on October 18, 2001 at 18:34:55:

In Reply to: LEASE AND SALE OF HOUSE posted by susan correnti on October 18, 2001 at 13:34:10:

From your post it sounds like you added a clause to your lease, which you think the LL accepted, allowing you to break the lease on 30 days notice. Which is fine, however as Don pointed out, you should have either made a copy or requested a copy of the lease when you signed it. You really don't know if she even accepted your amended lease.

As for looking for a place to move to, relax. No one wants to move in mid-winter --- therefore, more apartments are available that you can afford. While you don't have to rush, it seems obvious that sooner or later you will be moving.
Bottom line is that the owner is free to sell at any time she wants. Any leases are passed onto the new owner, who must respect them until the end of their term. The owner is free to show your apartment at any reasonable hour by giving you prior notice.

: I am currently living in a two family home, renting the downstairs apartment. my landlord recently put the house up for sale. i have a lease, but when i signed the lease i wrote the landlord a note asking that i be able to give a thirty day notice throughout the term of the lease as i had been looking for another apartment since i moved here (three years)..she never acknowledged this part of the lease that i had included until last month when i wanted to know if she had informed prospective buyers that i had a lease up until june 2002. she said i did not have a lease and that i was living here on a month to month basis. i have requested a copy of the lease, which she has not responded to yet. i am sick. i have three children and do not want to have to move in the middle of winter. i have a limited area to move to as i want to keep my children in the same school........do i have any leal rights......also i need to know my rights as a tenant and the real estate agents showing the house. it seems as if i am only paying rent to benefit the landlord. i cant sleep at night worrying about where we will have to move to. i am afraid of what i will have to move into. i am about ready to put everything in storage and live in a box..only kidding......i am sick at heart.........sue

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name