Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

speak with an attorney PRONTO

Posted by Ace on October 22, 2001 at 15:13:28:

In Reply to: rent controlled apartment (succession) posted by johnb on October 22, 2001 at 11:13:07:

: I have been living in my uncle's apartment for over a year. My uncle has since passed away. It is rent controlled. I informed the management company of his passing and inquired about having me be put on the lease. They said that I had no right of succession since I am only a nephew (and the time - 1 year) and the rent would go up to fair market value. I had no problem with paying FMV for an apartment and was told I needed to fill out an application and send a check for the fee. I completed the form, sent in a check and waited, while continuing to pay the rent.

: Now, two months later, the lease is up and they haven't sent me any correspondance relateed to a new lease. I just received a letter, along with my latest uncashed rent check stating the cannot accept the check pending legal action.

: When I called the company they told me they are not renting any aprtments and the person I spoke with initially is actually the head of the legal department (I was told she was an agent). Initially when I spoke with her she seemed like this was just a routine call.
: I'm afraid the application and check I sent in (in good faith) was to be used against me from the beginning.

: So now, I am waiting for the legal documents, not knowing how long I have until I have to move. I do not want to get into a long and costly legal battle if I am ultimatly going to lose.

: Do I have any rights as a tenant since the lease is up and I have not lied there for two years? I do have utility bills and other mail in my name.

: And as an aside, can any of this affect my credit?
:
: Thanks for any advice or help you can give me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name