Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

ignore the idiots

Posted by me on October 26, 2001 at 20:34:50:

In Reply to: Pending Eviction; court question posted by Lynn_NYC on October 23, 2001 at 20:34:21:

Unfortunately a few people abuse the board by posting nonsense and flames, and you are right to be frustrated. It is a bad situation and it is a shame such posts are not instantly deleted, regardless of source.
In any event--to try to answer your question -- definitely appear in court. No, you can't defeat the eviction, but you can delay it, perhaps by a significant amount of time. Simply explain the situation to the judge--you can't afford to pay rent. You can't afford to move. (I presume you have no defense at all). If nothing else you can delay the inevitable.

: This is a first for me. I am awaiting a pending eviction notice to be served upon me soon. I have been unable to pay my rent for the past 3 mos, next week will make 4 mos. In any event, does it make sense for me to appear in court once I receive the notice? I do not have the means to pay (I lost my job and it's gotten harder to find work here) my rent is so high that I would never be able to catch up when I do get work. Either way I am going to end up with a Marshal's notice, court or not since I have no case, I have nothing to tell the judge by offering a payment as I don't have it and can't tell them I will have the money because it's not there. What should I do in with the court situation? I have been hurrying to find a dirt cheap place that I can afford to pay on my unemployment. Should I just move out, God willing I find a place, before the Marshals come. I will pay the LL what I owe him even after moving but it won't be until next year that I can begin to make payments on the balance. Thanks for any advice or words of encouragement; I'm very sad these days.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name