Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Lease Expiration

Posted by Provost on October 29, 2001 at 19:05:41:

In Reply to: Lease expires and Re-lease Paperwork posted by Heather on October 29, 2001 at 17:18:25:

You didn't say if you are rent stabilized or not. In a rent stabilized apartment, the lease can automatically renew if the tenant fails to respond. Otherwise probably nothing will "happen" if your roommate is a day or so late in returning the papers; she should make up her mind soon, however, or else the mgt. co. will probably assume she is not renewing and intends to move.

Since you plan to move by all means send notification that you will not be renewing the lease. Removes any doubt about the issue and assures that your name will not be on any renewal lease.

: I live in NYC, and my lease expires on 11/30/01. I am moving out, but my roommate is deciding whether or not to remain in the apartment. The management company sent the re-lease papers to us, and we still have not sent them in, indicating whether or not we (well, she) will be re-leasing. These papers are supposed to be in 30 days before the lease ends (meaning that the papers should actually be in to the management company by 10/31). My question is: What will happen if these papers are sent back later than 30 days before the lease ends? Would they automatically consider that we, together, are re-leasing the apartment for another year? While my roommate is weighing out her options, should I send the management company a letter, letting them know that I am not re-leasing? I have already made arrangements with my building super to move out, but I'm concerned about the management company. Any help would be much appreciated!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name