Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Maybe, maybe not, but that's between him and the IRS

Posted by Provost on October 30, 2001 at 14:57:07:

In Reply to: rent always paid in cash-demanded by the LL-is he avoiding taxes?? posted by Miles on October 30, 2001 at 12:59:13:

If you're a month to month tenant, your terms of tenancy can be changed on a month's ntice, and your rent can be changed to any amount on the same notice. If you don't like the apartment or these terms ... you have to move. I'd suggest you carefully inspect the new place and go over a lease terms with the landlord so that you don't find yourself in the same situation again.

Taxes are an IRS matter. They have no bearing on your tenancy whatsoever. The IRS comes down very hard on those who don't report all their income. On the other hand, some landlords have been burned by bad checks once too often so they demand cash.

: I live in a month-to-month apartment and my landlord wants to increase my rent from $1500 to $2000. I am determined not to pay this because the place is not that great and is not anywhere near any subway stops. Plus when people are going through incredibly difficult times I just find it highly inappropriate to raise rents these days.

: I suspect that he does not claim the apartment on his taxes. Why? Because since I have lived there for two years he has always insisted on cash payment for rent, never a check. I tried once to give him a personal check and he would not take it. I then tried to give him a certified bank check and he still would not take it. I offered to give him a money order and he still declined. Seems to me he is cheating the government out of taxes and has been for a while.

: So I want to know if I have any kind of "ammunition" on my end to prevent him from raising my rent. I am very close to calling the IRS and the HoOusing Authority on him. If that means risking my apartment, fine. I can surely find another place but I just hate moving. I've moved 6 times in three years, I've been at this apartment for 2 years and would like to stay but not if it means I'm going to have to pay $500 more.

: This may not be the most diplomatic way of handling this situation, is there another way?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name