Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

roomate vs. security deposit

Posted by Laura on November 06, 2001 at 22:13:21:

I am moving out of a privately owned brownstown in Brooklyn. It is month to month, and the landlords have requested that my roomate and I deal with the security deposit amongst ourselves. I was fine with the idea until said roomate recently requested a $20 deduction from my deposit in the event that the landlords find cause to deduct from her deposit when the apartment is vacated.

She is under the impression that tack holes and minor paint imperfections and normal wear and tear are cause for deductions from one's security. I assured her that I intended to thouroughly clean the apartment and to re-paint my bedroom walls white and would consider any maintenance necessary for actual damages. I refused the $20 deduction and intend to carry out my promises and leave the apartment in good condition, but am afraid that she will not be satisfied regardless of what I do. (She was under the misconception that when I moved in 3 years ago that the apartment was new. It was far from it.)

Could someone just clarify what legally justifies a reduction in the return of a security deposit? I want to print out information that will prove to my roomate that she is acting unjustly.

Much appreciated - Laura

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name