Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Lease agreement and refusal of rent

Posted by Provost on November 08, 2001 at 18:58:31:

In Reply to: Lease agreement and refusal of rent posted by Imani Gadsden on November 08, 2001 at 09:29:12:

First of all, please read and edit your message before posting. You are rather unclear, for example, you refer to having both a "boyfriend" and a husband.

Regarding this person's troubles - all he needs to do is check the lease. If he's named on it, he doesn't have to worry.

Regarding the voucher from the Salvation Army, landlords are reluctant to accept, and under no obligation to accept, rent from someone other than a tenant. Perhaps the organization would make a payment directly to him.

: My boyfriend lives in New York and has been living in his apt since Novemebr 1998. In order for him to get the apt. he needed a co-signer. The landlord was aware that the co-signer would nt be residing in the apartment and siad that it was okay as long as my boyfriend and the co-signer was aware that any default on the rent, the co-signer would be responsible. They sold the building in 1999. The new landlord was aware of the situation and said that it was okay because my boyfriend's name was on the lease as living in the apartment. They also had record that every single rent payment came from him. When it was time to renew the lease in Nov. 2000, he told the landlord that he has been in the apartment for two years and since he is in good standing with them can they take the co-signer's name off the lease and what was the procedure for that. They told him to fill out the renewal form and don't include the co-signer on the form. We di so as they asked but we noticed the rent statements still came in the co-signer's name. Not to mention when we got the new lease it was as the original. We questioned it and they said that it was there mistake, they saw that he wanted to renew and by accident didn't change the lease but that the change had been noted in the system. In 2001, the building was sold yet again, we never thought to call the new landlord to explain to them because we figured they would have it on record from previous landlord. Now my husband was involved in the world trade ctr attack and the Salvation Army gave him a voucher for two months rent made payable to them directly. They refused to sign it stating he is an illegal tenant and that the co-signer illegally sublet the apartment to him. He said his name was on the lease and explained to them what I explained to you above and they said they didn't care the lease is in the co-signer's name and that's the only person they will accept rent payments from. But they've been taking checks, money orders, and cash in person from him now it's a problem and now they want to take him to court for non-payment. Please advise.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name