Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Roommate/Mice Problems. HELP please!

Posted by L on November 10, 2001 at 18:36:28:

Since my roommate and I moved in over three months ago, we've had horrible mice problems. The exteminator has now just come to put poison behind the stove. However, we cannot have poison in the house because it will kill my roommates dog. So, when asking to plug up the hole, our landlord refused and said we would have to get outside help to do this "tremendous" and "expensive" job. Throughout all of this my roommate and I have had many problems, only boiling down to my wanting and needing to move out as soon as possible because there is no other solution between us. I am the only one that actually put my signature on the lease, however, she is also written in print on the lease. My question is... Do I have a right to tell my landlord that I cannot live here anymore because of the mice problems and also have my roommate kicked out as well because I'm the only with with the signature on the bottom, in turn breaking the lease? Or do I have a right to have my roommate be the only tenant responsible for rent (she will refuse to sign anything that says she will have to pay the full rent and not just her half), and just make her pay it or move out? Are there any options that I am not aware of? I desperatly need to move out. The mice do not bother me anymore, it's just my roommate. FYI, I have tried to find someone to take my place and just move in with my roommate (taking my place) but there is no one that could live with both her and her pit bull. I'm sorry for the length of my question. I hope someone will have an answer for me soon! Thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name