Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: evicted by roommate

Posted by mae on November 15, 2001 at 13:12:35:

In Reply to: evicted by roommate posted by schless on November 15, 2001 at 11:23:24:

Usually VERY little......but in this case YOU paid your rent to the landlord, that effectively means YOU ARE on the lease, since you have a landlord tenant relationship, as opposed to paying the rent to the roomate in which case the roomate is your landlord.

When does the lease end? You would have just as much say as the roomate....but if you both fight over this, the landlord could choose not renew the lease and everybody has to leave.

:

: What rights do people have who are living in an apartment share but have never signed a lease?

: My girlfriend and I have been living in Brooklyn with 2 other people in shared 3-bedroom for the past nine months and although we are not on the lease, we had a verbal agreement of permanency with our housemates who signed the lease. Our rent checks have been written directly to the landlord, if that makes a difference. Now they are kicking us out so a friend of theirs can move in. Do we have any rights or are we just screwed? Whom can I contact to find out?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name