Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL Reference & Timing of Giving Notice

Posted by EZT on November 17, 2001 at 20:28:12:

In Reply to: LL Reference & Timing of Giving Notice posted by deborah on November 13, 2001 at 18:41:22:

: Hi,

: I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I live in a rent stabilized apartment in Manhattan (Upper Westside). I am buying a co-op and would like to ask my LL for a reference since I've been a tenant here in good standing for about 7 years. My last lease expired at the end of August (2001), so I am in a good position to give 30 days notice without having to break a lease. However, until I am accepted by the co-op board in my new building, I don't know if I'm actually moving (I am already approved for a mortgage). I would like to ask for a reference, yet I don't want to let her know that I'm leaving until I know for sure (as well as knowing WHEN it will happen). So this is kind of a Catch-22. I've never personally had a problem with the LL, but I know plenty of people in the building who have. Also, my apartment layout on other floors is currently renting out at about $1200 MORE than I'm paying, so I'm sure she will be happy to see me go. I just was wondering about my rights should the purchase of my co-op apartment fall through. Do I have the right to change my mind and stay here? I wouldn't officially be giving notice until I'm approved, but my LL would be alerted to my plans by my asking for the reference.

: Thanks for any advice.

: -Deborah

Not a good idea to ask current landlord for reference.

Your landlord is overdue with the official 'offer to renew your lease', whenever you receive it, you will have 60 days to reply. So: don't give notice!

Read about renewal rights yourself on Tenant.Net, NY Tenant Info or on
DHCR.state.ny.us, rent admin.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name