Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Management Company/Maintenance/Robbery

Posted by Lydia on November 18, 2001 at 19:15:28:

Hello.
I'm in Brooklyn, NY, and was curious about the following situation:
Our building has 3 apartments, and 2 out of the 3 have locks that were installed by the tenants. One apartment on the 2nd floor has their original locks, but both of the others (ours included) installed our own. Our management company had some central contracting company for general repairs, but it seems they have had a "falling out." I don't know the details, but the tenants on the second floor have had 3 incidents within the past few weeks involving strangers in the apartment claiming they were doing maintenance work, scoping out the place, and finally, a robbery. There were no signs of forced entry, and they didn't realize until the next day that there were missing items (by the time they were able to report the incident to the police, their hands were tied).
Since they didn't know about the situation with the two companies, I brought them up to date. We've pretty much figured out this involves the old contractors somehow, since they obviously have keys to the building AND the second floor apartment.
Now, I realize we have to insist the front door locks are changed, but Management has a bad history of follow-ups. They plan on changing their apartment lock, but we're worried about the front door, whether we're at risk, and how bold these people could be. If the management company doesn't change the front lock, are we allowed to do this ourselves?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name