Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: does reduction of services mean reduction of rent?

Posted by Cranky Tenant on November 21, 2001 at 04:46:37:

In Reply to: does reduction of services mean reduction of rent? posted by deb on November 20, 2001 at 16:34:07:

I had a similar situation last summer when the 120 year old building I live in sprung a gas leak this past summer. Getting new gas lines installed and turning the gas back on took three months. My LL insisted tenants continue to pay the full amount and, after two months, provided each tenant with a hotplate - poor substitute for a stove.

I happened to be in court with the LL on another issue. When the judge learned that I had been without gas he laughed and said "you know she's going to get an abatement for that!" My LL finally agreed to a 1/3 per month reduction for three months. Of course this was summer so lack of heat and cooking fuel was less of a hardship.

If youjr LL wont "give" you a deduction I'd suggest taking a deduction yourself. If he doesn't like it let him explain why he failed to provide you with gas to a judge.

: I live in a 100 year old rent controlled building in New York, NY. At least 40 units in building. Our cooking and laundry gas have been shut off for two months due to gas leak. Apparently, pipes were not up to code and ConEd wouldn't turn gas back on until they were up to code. We still have no cooking gas (2 months later) and my landlord refuses to reduce rent. Do I have any rights?
: thanks.
: ps - I have a written lease

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name