Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Dont Worry

Posted by Ray on November 28, 2001 at 13:50:51:

In Reply to: Month to month 30 day notice was handed to my daughter. posted by George F. on November 28, 2001 at 02:25:01:

Even if you are month-to-month, LL has to give you no less than 30 days to vacate. Which he hasnt, therefore you are not obligated to move by 12/15. Chances are, if he proceeds w/ eviction, judge will extend your stay based on your small children and probability of finding another place in the middle of winter. You dont mention how many units are in this building? this may be relevant when you seek out a lawyer, which I would recommend especially if the bldg turns out to be rent stab/controlled. As for doing basic handyman jobs, that's irrelevant. Most people do them, including paint jobs. The electrical should have been the LL duty and you shouldnt have paid for it. Going forward, dont pay out of pocket for a place that is not yours. whatever you purchased to make the place look nice (fixtures), take with you. What are my chances of getting a real extension in court? very good & likely. Ask the tenant downstairs if you could see his lease. This will give you an indication on status of bldg. If not, go thru DHCR. It's easy. Whatever you do, continue paying your rent on time. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name