Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: FOLLOW UP: Are rents "on record"?

Posted by Stacy on November 29, 2001 at 11:37:48:

In Reply to: FOLLOW UP: Are rents posted by Johnny Quest on November 28, 2001 at 14:42:24:

Lilly asked because it helps determine if you're rent stabalised. If the apartment legally rented for over $2,000, you're not.

If you are, yes there's a record: Go to DHCR with proof that you live at the address in question (a lease is ideal; official looking mail like a utility bill will work, I'm told) and request the rent history for the apartment. Don't mention that you don't still live there. Details on how to do that are in the forum -- do a search.

: ": And $10,000 will go to the lawyer"

: Well, that leaves roughly eight grand back to me. The point is, I need to know how I can go about getting official confirmation of what the actual rent was so that I can tell this guy in a polite and civilized manner that he can perch...

: That he's lucky I don't go after him for the overcharge, etc., etc., as I'm a karmic fellow who just wants to abide by "what's fair is fair" and if I can definitively prove he was ripping me off, well, I'd sleep better. Right now, though, all I have is what I saw on a document I summarily sent off, so before I go screaming bloody murder (or, in this case, casually discussing bloody murder), I'd like verification.

: Are rents "on record" somewhere that I can access directly or do I need to contact his old landlord or lawyer (and if the lawyer, would that be considered "privileged" info, even though I was the one who found the lawyer to begin with and was--for a brief, aborted time--one of the co-plaintives, if only as "John Doe")?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name