Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

broke my lease after wtc

Posted by expatriate on December 03, 2001 at 22:01:20:

I notified my management co. that i was breaking my lease shortly after 9-11. I lived next to the Empire State Building and there were several police evacuations of my building. I was never notified to leave the apt., I just happened to look out the window at the right time, or concerned friends would call on the telephone. At any rate, once we went out the fire stairs from 18 floors up only to find blocked stairways or unlit fire stairs. Also, when we got to the bottom of the stairwell, the exit door was locked and we had to go back up 3 flights and out another exit. The elevators in this blg. are frequently stalled on various floors and left open and dark. We felt our personal safety was in danger and moved to nj. The mgnt. co. says that our apt. has not yet been rented and that we owe them several months of rent and won't settle with us for about 1/2 that amount. We feel that they violated our lease with fire and building dept. infractions, but IT DOES say in the lease that we owe the money until they rent it. Do we have a case, and if so, can anyone reccomend a good low cost attorney?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name