Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: is my lease valid? Yes

Posted by Blue Zephyr on December 04, 2001 at 23:42:44:

In Reply to: is my lease valid? posted by LES on December 04, 2001 at 15:18:54:

Yes, your lease is valid. You made some obvious mistakes. You inquired about the construction next door, but to your broker or owner of your building. Wrong people - you should have inquired yourself, directly to the owner/construction people on that site. The owner of your building and his real estate broker have absolutely zero control over what goes on next door - they didn't "lie" to you, they just didn't know.

It's safe to assume that if someone is constructing a building next door, it would block your the view from your window, especially if you're on a low floor.

: I rented an apartment in the lower East Side in June. When I was shown the apartment I noticed that there was construction going on next door. I asked the realtor about it and he told me that it would be completed within 3 months. I wanted the place so I told him that if that was true then I would take the place. He varified that it was - though I don't know how - and I signed the lease with the understanding that the noise would stop in 3 months.
: Later I met the building owner who told me that the construction would go one for "awhile" and that the owner - not the same - had petioned for air-rights. Since then they have built up one floor, blocking two of my windows and waking me up every morning at 8am. Currently I'm trying to sublet my place but everytime I show the place people don't want it because of the construction next door.
: So, since the realtor obviously lied to me and/or the owner didn't disclose all relevant info regarding the unit before I rented it, is my lease valid?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name