Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

LL BEHAVIOR???

Posted by snorkel on December 07, 2001 at 11:23:18:

I live in a RS Apt. in Manhattan. LL raised the rent 300% since the tenant before me. DHCR rental history proves this as well as proof from prior tenants. I have sent LL 3 letters(certified,rr) asking him to please prove the legality of the rent or I will have no choice but withold rent and/or file an overcharge with the DHCR. No response. In each letter I have been totally accomodating and have said that he can negotiate a new lease with me if, infact, the increase is illegal. I have consulted with attorneys and experts and they have all said it is a cut and dry overcharge case. After months of giving him the benefit of the doubtI began to send him partial payment (calculated upon what the legal increases should be and a little bit more out of good faith). He has returned the check. I understand why he wouldn't accept partial payment but what do you think his motivation is? Is he trying to speed up the non-payment process or what? All the evidence is squarely stacked against him.

Also, this LL's tactics are so dirty that articles in NY pubs have been written about him and he's been busted for it several times. Every tenant in the building has has problems or taken him to court. Is any of that admissable in court. His MO is definitely one of deception.

Any advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name