Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Money for damages from roommate

Posted by smd on December 11, 2001 at 19:19:56:

Brooklyn, New York, non-stabilized 2-bedroom apartment. I've been renting a room (no written lease) to a girl for about 5 months. I found out (I read a note she hasn't yet actually given me) that she is planning to move before the end of the month, effectively giving me about 2 weeks notice. She and her cats have caused a lot of damage to the apartment and my personal things. I charged her $700 a month for rent but only got $150 for the security deposit. The note said that she didn't have the money to both move and pay for all of the damage she caused but would sign a document saying that she would eventually pay for it or make payments. She claims that she is moving only 2 blocks away and will be easy to find, but I don't know if I can trust her.

1. I am confused about the law - can she just give me this short notice?

2. Should I type up the document and let her make the payments or insist on full payment on the day she moves? I am worried that she may be lying and will leave the state or something.

Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name