Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Admissable in court/DHCR?

Posted by JJ on December 11, 2001 at 23:52:50:

In Reply to: Admissable in court/DHCR? posted by snorkel on December 11, 2001 at 11:51:50:

: Are prior offenses by a LL admissable in housing court or to the DHCR to support a case?

: I'm probably going to court soon for an overcharge case regarding my manhattan, RS apt. My LL has had numerous offenses against him and has been written about in several New York publications due to his dirty dealings. I would love to be able to bring these things up to support the fact that this man is a crook.

the overcharge is a matter of math, not dirty hands.
prove the overcharge with the right documents, asking for treble damages, which the law presumes. LL has to prove the overcharge was NOT wilful to escape the treble damages and pay only statutory interest (9%): that's where the published dirt and old lawsuits come in: credibility/character. articles published in print media are admissible as long as you have an original or copy showing its origin (make 2 photocopies: one shrunken to show the whole page, the other readable).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name